Smokey Tomato Jam
Found on puttinupwitherin
Yield: 6 half pints
* 6 pounds tomatoes (I used julians)
* 1-3/4 cups sugar
* 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
* 1-1/4 Tbsp ground cumin
* 2-1/2 Tbsp smoked paprika
* 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
* 1/2 Tbsp salt
1. Wash tomatoes. Line un-greased baking sheet with tomatoes (1 layer). Broil tomatoes for approximately 30 minutes or until skin is charred enough to your liking.
2. Blend charred tomatoes in a food processor or blender until chunky.
3. In a large-sized, non-ionized pot combine tomatoes and remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about an hour or until jam-like consistency is reached. You'll want to stir the jam occasionally as it becomes thicker to avoid burning.
4. Ladle hot tomato jam into prepared half pint jars leaving ~1/2 inch headspace. Wipe rims, apply lids and rings (finger tight) and process in a hot-water bath for 15 minutes.
5. Remove jars from canner and let cool on a folded towel for 12-24 hours.