Roasted Sage and Onion Jam
Found on puttinupwitherin
* 6 pounds sweet onions (vidalia)
* 2 cups white sugar
* 1-1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
* 1 tsp lemon zest
* 1/2 tsp kosher salt
* 1/4 cup fresh minced sage
* 1 box powdered pectin
1. Pre-heat oven to 425F.
2. Place unpeeled whole onions on a baking sheet. Roast until the skins are deep golden brown and blistered and the inner parts are very tender throughout and yield when pierced with a sharp knife, an hour or longer, depending on the size.
3. When time is up remove onions from oven, let cool long enough to handle then remove skin and quarter. In batches puree onions in a blender/food processor.
4. In a large-sized, non-ionized pot, combine pureed onions, apple cider vinegar, sugar, and lemon zest. Cook down over low heat for 1 hour and a half.
5. Stir in minced sage and salt and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
6. Add powdered pectin and cook hard for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
7. Ladle jam into warm pint or half pint jars leaving approximately 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rims, apply lids and rings (finger tight), and then process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.
8. Remove jars from canner and let cool on a folded towel for 12-24 hours.