Red Onion Marmalade
Serves: 1 to 1½ cups
A savory jam made from slowly cooking red onions in a sweet and sour base.
* ¼ cup walnut oil
* 1 pound red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (about 2 large onions)
* ¼ cup sherry vinegar
* 2 tablespoons honey
* 1 teaspoon fresh lemon thyme leaves (or any fresh thyme)
* 1 pinch kosher salt
* 1 pinch ground white pepper
1. Heat the oil in a medium-sized saucepan with a heavy bottom. Add the onions and cook over medium heat, stirring, until they are limp, about 5-6 minutes.
2. Add the vinegar, honey, thyme, salt and pepper. Reduce heat, partially cover the pan and cook for 1 hour. The onions will become very tender.
3. Serve the marmalade warm or at room temperature.